(510) 649-1331 sjadams@adamslaw.biz

Trademarks – Foreign Applicants and Registrants Must Have U.S. Licensed Attorney

The U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (PTO) now requires that all foreign-domiciled trademark applicants, registrants, or parties must be represented by a U.S. licensed attorney.  This rule is in effect as of August 3, 2019.

A “foreign-domiciled” trademark applicant, registrant, or party is:

  • An individual with a permanent legal residence outside the United States or its territories.
  • An entity with its principal place of business (headquarters) outside the United States or its territories.

This rule applies to Canadian trademark attorneys and agents as well:  After the effective date of the new rule, if a Canadian attorney or agent is reciprocally recognized by OED, the attorney or agent will be recognized as an additionally appointed practitioner for a Canadian client, but the Canadian client must also appoint a U.S.-licensed attorney to file formal responses. The PTO will correspond only with the appointed U.S.-licensed attorney for the Canadian trademark applicant, registrant, or party.

Sharon Adams is an experienced trademark attorney with a deep understanding of U.S. trademark law.  Sharon is a licensed U.S. attorney and can represent foreign-domiciled trademark applicants, applicants, or parties before the PTO in trademark matters.

Adams Law Office can help:

  • Foreign-based attorneys looking for a highly-qualified U.S. licensed trademark attorney.
  • Foreign-domiciled trademark applicants, registrants, or parties.

Adam’s Law Office
2140 Shattuck Ave Suite 207
Berkeley CA 94704

Adams Law Office

2140 Shattuck Ave., Suite 207

Berkeley, CA 94704




This website is made available by Adams Law Office for educational purposes only to convey general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this website you acknowledge there is no attorney client relationship between you and Adams Law Office. This website should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney applied to your circumstances.

[Form id="8"]